Updates

The river of posts is slowing to a trickle. I have lots of work to accomplish as my year draws to a close. Sorry folks. I'll try to keep updating as often as possible.
Friday, April 9, 2010

Language

I wonder how the French feel when Americans say, pardon my French. I would be le pissed. I realize that isn’t funny, but it’s insulting, isn’t it? Isn’t that saying that the French are obscene?There are a lot of things that we say which don’t make sense at all. I've seen chocolate commercials and thought to myself, what does decadent chocolate taste like? Unless the piece of chocolate arrives at my mouth lying on a fucking throne eating grapes or is wearing a Versace gown, I seriously doubt that it is decadent. A lot of words describing food are intentionally vague. When cake is described as airy or shrimp as succulent, you get a general sense of moisture, but nobody would use these modifiers in everyday speech.

I have a personal boycott against any product that does not at least make an attempt to be honest in its language. And you know what else pisses me off? When Mcdonalds and other junk companies tell me that their double cheeseburger is only a buck, and I go in there with a dollar and they turn me away.You would think that a company that has to warn its customers that their coffee is going to be hot, wouldn’t assume that people automatically include tax when they are collecting change for lunch. It’s ok to say something is only ninety-nine cents, because we’ve been conditioned to round that up in our heads, but to tell people that all they need is a dollar is an evil lie. Especially because in the godamn commercials they show Jonny America getting a hot meal by handing the clerk a single Washington. Apparently there’s no sales tax in commercials. I guess it’s understandable when you consider how out-of-touch with reality the executives of big businesses are.

Denise is a fucking liar. You cannot buy a burrito for 89 cents. Stop smiling.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course sales tax isn't shown in commercials. The only place you will ever see sales tax is on the register and the sales receipt. Subway's 5 dollar footlong is also a sham, its more like 5.50 or more. Realize that for car commercials, any average tax rate at 7 percent or more can equal thousands of dollars. Executives may be out of touch, but would the commercials be as effective at herding sheeple into a McDonalds if they showed the happy go lucky consumer whipping out a dirty, ripped dollar bill and then fishing for change? I don't think so. Good post, you had your characteristic strong language and VERY strong stance, as usual.


About Me

HitpasComedy
Chicago, IL, United States
A writer/voice of a generation
View my complete profile

Followers

Milking the Social Networking Cow

Check me out on Facebook:

http://oork.com/p45tx

And sadly I'm on Twitter as well:


Email me any suggestions or threats at

timhitpas@gmail.com